Friday, January 18, 2013

Beefing Up the Stash

I have a fabric problem - silver quilter's charm. $21

I was pretty good about my stash in 2012! I guess it was because I didn't sew much, so I didn't feel the need to troll online hunting fabric. In fact, the only order I placed with Fabric.com was for swatches! Don't get me wrong; I did buy fabric last year -- I just didn't buy so much that I need to hang my head in shame.

As I thought about the clothes I needed and would hopefully make in 2013, I realized that while "The Collection" as it's named on my secret Pinterest board has a nice mix of pretty stuff and even practical rayon-spandex jerseys, it's lacking in two areas:  wool crepe and basic sweater knits.  Blame the weather, Craftsy.com and Cidell for helping me zero in on these gaping holes :-)

I also realized that my favorite RTW tops are two sweater rib knit tunics from Macy's. I thought this Silhouette Pattern would be a nice sibling to them. When I checked The Collection, my jerseys didn't seem substantial enough. I also have zero rib knits. I have plenty of awesome ITY, but that's another story.

Adding to my need for knits is the twin set. Ilove, love, love twin sets. It's a fitted top with something that covers the gap I usually have in at the center back waist in RTW pants. What's not to love?! I wear twin sets so much that my coworkers tease me.  Silhouette to the rescue again!  Can't wait to make this set. And the FBA is already done for me!

Enter Fabric.com! I clicked through the sweater rib knit fabrics and pinned each one that was medium weight. I think each one of them can be reordered, so I can rest easy at night (and stick to my budgeting goal). I want to attempt some turtlenecks too, since I found this blog post on a no-dart FBA tutorial for girls with big girlz.

WISHLIST Sweater Rib Knit Heather Charcoal 52" $4.98 75% stretch and a fluid drapeWISHLIST Sweater Rib Knit Cool Pink 66" $4.98 75% stretch and a fluid drape

O' how I love heather charcoal and pink! These are $5 a yard!  Hmmm. They might need to be colorblocked in this HP top. I digress.

In the most recent Nancy's Notions catalog, I was intrigued by these new Bare Knits. Talk about twin set heaven!

Bare Knits

The jury is still out on the wool crepe. It's a little more of an investment. I can also wait to purchase it because I have so many knit projects I want to get through first. Heck, I can't even get to those until I finish the Burda skirt.  I will say that my heart is set on finding wool crepe in the plum and rust families.

plum & burgundyRust and orange autumn fashion

Last but not least, I need some sequins in my life! I need summer sparkle, fall fabulousness and holiday hotness. Clearly, these are not a priority until I get the basics down, but it's fun to dream!

Adrianna Papell Sequin Dolman Sleeve Top (Plus)

P.S. If you're looking for the Fabric Problem pendant, click here.

2 comments:

Faye Lewis said...

Wonderful pattern and fabric choices.

marysews said...

I love the "Fabric Problem" pendant!