Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Book Review: Fast Fit

I'll admit up front that this is the book I use more as an encyclopedia of fit issues. I love the way the Betzina defines the various problems. It's clear language and cute drawings.

After I have a better understanding of the issue, I move on to more robust books like the Fit For Real People seriesFitting and Pattern Alteration or even Pattern Fitting with Confidence. I need waaaay more hand holding when it comes to resolving my fit issues. The other books are more thorough.

During my first attempt at sewing, I took a fitting workshop with Lorraine Henry at one of the Expos. When I walked up to her and explained I was using Fast Fit as the basis for my alterations, she didn't have very nice things to say about the slash method.  If you read Fitting and Pattern Alteration, it talks about how the slash method presented within its pages is corrected so it won't distort the pattern.

The book is well-organized and it's a fun and very easy read. There are two parts:  The first has an All About Alterations chapter that gives helpful information about the sequence for pattern alterations and where to begin.

The second part of the book gets into the "problem areas."  Here it covers:

  • The Back
  • The Shoulders
  • The Sleeves
  • The Neckline
  • The Bust and Upper Body
  • Pants and Skirts
There are fitting tips sprinkled throughout each chapter.  

This was the first fitting book I ever purchased and, at the time, I thought it was all I needed. The more I read and the more patterns I try to alter, the more I realize that I could have saved my money on this one. All of the fitting issues and the the slash method used to correct them are covered in Fitting and Pattern Alteration: A Multi-Method Approach to the Art of Style Selection, Fitting, and Alteration (2nd Edition).


No comments: