Sunday, January 17, 2010

Book Review: Curves Rule & Flat is Fabulous (My New Favorite Book)

A couple of weeks ago I was looking for a new journal and ended up in Papyrus.  I go to that store maybe once every three years.  Well, things have changed since my last visit.  Papyrus has a tiny, but killer book selection.  The display may have had only 15 books, but they were all good books.  I wanted to buy each one!

Anyhoo, the future sewing maven in me spied Curves Rule and Flat is FabulousLadies, this is 130 pages of self-love.  I'd been looking for a fashion book that provided some guidance on must-have pieces and looks for certain body types. The reason I hadn't purchased said book before now is because the general philosophy is to hide the things that don't fit into that very fake, culturally non-inclusive, ideal body type notion.  If I paid attention to what the fashion industry said I should be, the only thing I'd have going for me is my neck! What a self-esteem killer.

This book takes the opposite approach.  What are problem areas in the old school of thought are now assets (pun intended). The first chapter is "Got It Flaunt It." Need I say more?? I found it so refreshing. 

This book offers nine shape profiles based on body part:
  • Booties
  • Hipsters
  • Belly Babes
  • Curvies
  • Leggies
  • Dainties
  • Busties
  • Tatas
  • Broads
Eleven confident women provide examples the various profiles. 

The book then provides a fashion guide for various occasions.  Within each of these is a discussion of key pieces and the right versions for each body profile.  For example, "Casual:  Jeans and Tops" is the first fashion chapter. For each style of jeans (boot-cut, straight-leg, wide-leg, slim-cut and trouser-cut), there are tips for Booties, Hipsters, Belly Babes, Leggies and Dainties.

Have you ever seen this in a fashion guide before??! I'm so loving this book!!
"Curvy girls can really turn it out by pairing wide-legs with a stretchy wrap-style shirt to create an hourglass shape."

1 comment:

knitmachinequeen (KMQ) said...

I think I need to get this book ASAP!